Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tuesday afternoon at ESPN

Today is my last day at ESPN.  Right now the entire office is watching the US/Belgium soccer game as I write this.  This has been a great experience here in Bristol, CT and I have a lot of stuff to bring back to the classroom.  Below is my departure e-mail I sent to the ESPN Communications staff:

As today is my last day at ESPN, I thought I would send a note telling everyone how much I enjoyed being here. THANKS!  I have harvested a great deal, professionally and personally, from my brief tenure here.  I remain extremely impressed by the passion and dedication of all of you on this team.  I have especially appreciated the team spirit you all demonstrated to me and one another.

As someone with plenty of gray hair from practicing communications and a consultant who has visited myriad communications departments, I feel qualified to say that during these past two weeks I have been in the presence of consummate professionals. It has been a refreshing, exciting reminder. We are uniquely privileged to work in dynamic, engaging careers which few understand, but include their own distinct set of challenges and rewards.

It was also enjoyable to work alongside such a diverse group of individuals at various stages in their careers.  The interactions between the seasoned professionals, mid-level workhorses and aspiring newbies was inspiring.  As a faculty member for the last 10+ years, I am usually on the other side of the desk getting 20-somethings ready to enter the workforce. I am encouraged to know there are professional practitioners and mentors out there willing to invest in the next generation of communicators.

In closing, let me say ESPN communications “gets it.” Thanks again for demonstrating this. If there is anything I can do for any of you, please do not hesitate to ask. I also hope to see some of you at U of SC when ESPN Gameday and the SEC channel comes to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment